Merging Course Sections
Sorry, we are no long available to merge course sections for faculty, but the Meta Link does what you need and more. You no longer need to be concerned about add/drops and you can merge the sections anytime.
If you have multiple sections of the same course and would like to only use one PolyLearn course shell, then this option is helpful. The course you would like to use (add content into) is now the Main course (Parent). Open the Main course and add the other sections (Child) into the enrollment methods. These "child" courses are now linked to the "parent" course. While the child courses are managing adds and drops, that information is seen in the parent course since it is linking to the child. I would recommend creating groups to help manage all those sections. Please follow the instructions below. If you have questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE : You will want to create a group for the Main course (example ENGL-215-01-2168) for section 1, and then when you create a Meta link to section 2 (ENGL-215-02-2168) create a group for section 2. Having groups for each course section will allow you to view the Gradebook by sections. This is helpful when you have many students and sections in one PolyLearn course.
- create a group for the main course and add all students into it. You can shift select to select all students and move them all at once
- create a Group for the section you will link next.
- add one meta link, choose the group in the Add to group pulldown list.
- repeat process
- Instructors can merge courses.
- Instructors can create a Group for each section to help find students in the Gradebook.
- Instructors do not need to manage add/drop, the Meta course takes care of it for you.
- Students see the "Main" course in the Portal under "PolyLearn Access: You are NOT officially enrolled in these classes section" if that is not their section or in the Class List if they are enrolled in the section.
Table of Contents
Course Meta Links
Instead of the Merge Course Request, try out the Course Meta Link tool. Instructors can merge their course sections so that there is only one PolyLearn course shell to manage.
NOTE : You may want to create a group for the Main course (example ENGL-215-01-2164) for section 1, and then when you create a Meta link to section 2 (ENGL-215-02-2164) create a group for section 2. Having groups for each course section will allow you to view the Gradebook by sections. This is helpful when you have many students and sections in one PolyLearn course.
- In the Administration block, click Users, and then click Enrollment methods.
- Click on the Choose pull-down list next to Add Method to pick the other Add Metalink.
- Select the course.
- Chose the group in the Add to group pull-down list.
- Click on the Add method button.
- The added Meta course will be displayed under the Engine method.
NOTE : Do not click on the eye icon next to the Course meta link. This will hide the enrollments from the Main course. If you want to see the students within that course, click on the course ID in the Portal's My Classes or PolyLearn's My Courses area.
After you turn on the course in PolyLearn, it can take up to 4 hours before the course is seen on the student's Portal page.
After the courses are merged, turn the Main course ON (turn course on) and the others leave off. The students who are enrolled in the other sections will not be able to open those courses, but the Main course will be in the PolyLearn Access: You are NOT officially enrolled in these classes section.
or the PolyLearn button may appear within the "Waitlisted" section if the student had waitlisted that course section during the enrollment period.