The folder resource allows the instructor to add groups of files that will all be accessible to the student. This can be useful when organizing various resources by subject within the course.
Table of Contents
Switch Role: Can't see files...
If you switch role to student, you will not see the files in the folder. If you can see the files in the folder with "Turn Editing On" is OFF, so can the students.
WARNING! This facility does not always give you a true picture of what the course would look like to someone with that role. It is recommended you have a "test" user with the appropriate role who can be used to give a more accurate view.
Instructors can add a folder to their course where various other resources can be stored. This can be useful for organizing the resources that are being made available to the students.
- Select Turn editing on.
- Click on the Add an activity or resource link.
- Choose the Folder resource.
- Click the expand all link to view all setting boxes
- Under the General section, type the Name (required) of the folder into the text box.
- Type the Description (required) into the text box.
- Click Add... to add a file to the new folder. For greater details look at steps 3-7 below.
- Visible sets whether or not the students can view the resource.
- ID number allows the instructor to add an ID to the resource that can be linked to an ID in the gradebook.
Restrict access allows the instructor to set a condition on the assignment until other assignment(s) are completed:
- Date: Access can be restricted from or until a certain date and time.
Note: ALL dates must be changed when copying courses. [We recommend that you do not use the DATE option in Restrict access. Dates can be set above within the Availability.]
- Grade: determines grade conditions which must be met in order to access the activity.
Note: Multiple grade conditions may be set if desired. If so, the activity will only allow access when ALL grade conditions are met.
- Group: If groups are used in the course, it is possible to restrict the activity to a certain group.
- User Profile determines access based on fields within the student's profile, such as department or email.
- Restriction Set allows you to set nested restrictions (of those listed above).
There are numerous ways that the instructor can keep the folder resource up to date. By adding current files and removing outdated ones the instructor can be sure that the items being given to the students is relevant and useful.
It is possible to add new files after the folder has been created in order to keep newer material accessible to the students.
- Turn editing on.
- Click the Edit button next to your folder
- Click Add... in order to choose which file to add.
- Choose Upload a file in the left column.
- Click Browse... in order to locate the file that is going to be uploaded.
- Navigate to the location on your computer in order to find the file. Click the file and then click Open.
Note: You can also drag and drop files directly into the file area. If you drag and drop your files, you can skip steps 4-8.
- Enter a name into the Save as box in order to change what the file's name will be on the course.
- Input the name of the Author for the file.
- Choose license allows the instructor to display the current licensing option that is applied to the file being uploaded.
In order to clear out unnecessary files, it is possible to delete files from the folders.
- Click the Edit button of the folder that will have the file deleted.
- Click the item that you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
- Click Save and return to course or Save and display.
It is possible to edit the folders settings after the creation of the folder.
- Click the name of the folder that will be edited.
- Click Edit settings in the Administration block.
- Edit the settings within the folder that were going to be edited. For greater detail on the options within a folder see above.
- Choose either Save and return to course or Save and display.
The folder permissions are established by the system's administrator. The permissions are given to the various roles in order to grant them the ability to perform actions within the resource. The instructor can view these permissions with these steps:
- Click on the existing folder resource.
- In the Administration block, click the Permissions to view all possible capabilities pertaining to folders, and which roles have access to each capability. Alternatively, click the Check permissions button specifically view an a list of all enrolled individuals in the course.
- Click on the user's name to check and then click Show this user's permissions.
Note: Type the user's name into the search box in order to refine the display and more easily locate the intended user.
- This page lists all of the various actions that are capable within the resource. The list will tell whether or not the user is capable of each action.