Zoom Meeting Tool
The Zoom plugin allows you to create a meeting directly through PolyLearn with its own unique meeting meeting ID. Students logged into PolyLearn, click on the link and are able to quickly launch Zoom and join the session. Zoom is a web conferencing tool for all students, faculty, and staff. Zoom allows for video, audio, and screen sharing. It can be used from any computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, and it works on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.
Instructors can create Zoom Meetings for online office hours, support sessions or online lectures while you are away at a conference.
- Select Turn editing on.
- Click on the Add an activity pull-down list.
- Scroll down and choose the Zoom meeting tool.
- If needed, click on Expand All in the top right corner
- Under the General section, type the Topic (required) into the text box.
- Type the Description text into the box
- Set Open and Close dates can be set for group deadlines to complete Zoom meeting.
- Set Duration: For the length of the Zoom meeting
- Recurring: Use if you have recurring office hours every Tuesday night.
- Require a Password: Students would enter a password to access the Zoom meeting
- Host video: Turn on/off host view
- Participants video: Turn on/off participant video
- Audio Options: Automatically set to VoIP which carries voice calls over IP network. We suggest you do not change this.
- Meeting option: If checked, students will be able join the video chat before the host is on Zoom.
- Grading Options:
- Grade Type: None, Point, Scale. Instructors will most commonly use None or Point.
- Scale: Default competence scale or Separate and connected ways of knowing.
- Maximum grade — Set maximum value for Grade Item.
- Minimum Grade — This setting determines the minimum grade when using the point grade type.
- Choose Grade category
- Common module settings:
- Visible sets whether or not the students can view the resource.
- ID number allows the instructor to add an ID to the resource that can be linked to an ID in the Gradebook
- Group Mode and Grouping: If groups are used in the course, it is possible to restrict the activity to a certain group.
- Restrict access allows the instructor to set a condition on the assignment until other assignment(s) are completed
- Tags are used for searching and find blog entries easily.
Once Saving the Zoom meeting, you will see this page the Zoom Meeting page.
Start Meeting will be grayed out until the open date of the Zoom meeting (unless set as a Reoccurring meeting).
When you click on Start Meeting, you will be rerouted to the Zoom conference. If you would like people who are not enrolled in the course to join, you can simply copy the Join link URL and send it to whoever you would like to join i.e. guest speaker, faculty, other students etc.
Note: If your Zoom meeting is set "No" for Join meeting before host, then as the instructor you MUST be in the Zoom meeting in order to begin the conference.