What's NEW in PolyLearn Moodle 3.1 (Spring 2017)
Starting this Spring, the PolyLearn Support Team has provided three additional tools.
- ZOOM Plugin
- iClicker & REEF Plugin
- Upload PolyLearn Grades into PeopleSoft Grades
- Gradebook: Forecast Report
- Gradebook Settings
- Other changes
Zoom, Cal Poly’s video and web conferencing tool, is available to all students, faculty, and staff. Zoom allows for video, audio, and screen sharing. It can be used from any computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, and it works on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. Any Cal Poly user can initiate a video or audio meeting, allowing Zoom to be used for any online meeting, whether between two or many people. Anyone in the world can join a Zoom meeting, but only a host can start/schedule meetings. Use your Cal Poly ID and password to sign in to your host account.
This Spring quarter we have added the ZOOM plugin to PolyLearn. This will allow you to create a meeting link in the course shell for your students to click and access video conferences for online office hours, off campus guest speakers, or online lectures while you are away at a conference.
If you use iClickers or REEF in your classroom, PolyLearn now has the plugin to allow students to registrar their clickers and to easily allow you to sync your iClicker Grades into the PolyLearn Gradebook.
For Spring 2017 grades, faculty will be able to upload PolyLearn grades into PeopleSoft. The Records Office will be adding the PolyLearn Grade upload instructions to their PeopleSoft PDF tutorial.
As always, in PeopleSoft, you will need to review the grades and approval them for final submission.
During the quarter it can be difficult for students to understand what grade they have or what grades they need to gain to earn the A they want. When faculty use weights it can also be confusing to students how their grades are calculated. The Forecast Report can help students. This allows students to type number values into the Grade box, which calculates the grade total at the bottom.
After reviewing emails and talking with instructors during face-to-face consultations, we have modified some of the default settings in the Gradebook to help improve usability and save time.
- The student view of the Grades will no longer display Weights or Contribution to the course total as default.
Instructors can choose to display these within the Gradebook > Setup > Course grade settings.
- Instructors can choose to View all submissions within an assignment and pick to Quick Grade / Feedback. If your students didn't submit a PDF file or you are not using the Grade tool, then the Quick Grade / Feedback will allow you to grade on the View all submissions page.
- When instructors Override grade Categories, this can cause incorrect grade values. We have disabled the ability for Categories to be overridden. You will need to create a Grade item to provide a manual grade. Grade items can be placed in Categories that are SUM or Weighted.
- The PolyLearn emoticons (emoji) filter has been changed to default - OFF. Those who want to have emojis in their courses can enable this filter. From the Administration block > Filters > Display emoticons as images - ON.